Montgomery County Logo
Gregory A. Brush
Montgomery County
Clerk of Courts

Ohio Passport Information

Official US Passport Information
Click here to be taken to the US Department of State Passport Information site.

Montgomery County Clerk of Courts Authority
By the authority of the President of the United States, the Secretary of State has designated various categories of persons who are authorized to accept passport applications. One of these categories is the State Court of Record. The Clerk of Courts for Montgomery County is designated as State Court of Record, thus enabling this office to accept passport applications. This page is designed to answer the most common questions regarding passport applications and to provide information regarding the passport application services offered by the Montgomery County Clerk of Courts.

Do I Need an Appointment?
The Clerk of Courts has never required an appointment for any of the services we offer. However, please allow at least 30 minutes for the application process.

Where do I go to get a passport?
You can go to any of our Auto Title locations to apply for a passport.

What forms will I need?
You can get instructions and the forms here.

Do Children Need Passports?
All persons including newborns are required to obtain passports in their own names. Children who are 15 years of age or younger must appear in person and fill out the passport application with written parental consent. Consent forms are available in the Auto Title Offices.

Must I Apply in Person?
You must always appear in person.

Who May Apply for a Passport by Mail?
You may apply for a passport by mail if you already have a passport, if your most recent passport was issued within the past 15 years and you were 18 years of age or older at the time of issuance.

If your passport has been mutilated or violated in any a manner you may not apply by mail.

What Documents Will I Need?
A passport application must be accompanied by four items:

  • Proof of U.S. Citizenship/Certified Birth Certificate
  • Proof of Identity
  • One Photograph (2"x2") - Photos can be taken at any Auto Title Location
  • Required Fees
  • Proof of Citizenship documents will be returned to you by the Passport Agency along with your Passport.

    Proof of U.S. Citizenship
    You may submit a previous U.S. passport, certified birth certificate or original Naturalization Document as proof of U.S. citizen ship.

    If no birth certificate is available, secondary evidence may be submitted which must be accompanied by a notice from the Registrar of Vital Statistics stating that no birth record is on file for the applicant.

    Secondary records, should have been created as close to the applicant's date of birth as possible, should contain information pertaining to the applicant's date and place of birth. These secondary records may include baptismal certificates, circumcision or other religious records, hospital birth records, early census records, personal diaries, ship's logs or newspaper files regarding birth. Affidavits completed by a parent or older blood relative or physician, nurse or midwife who attended the birth may also be submitted for consideration.

    Proof of Identity
    Submit a previous U.S. passport, valid drivers license, valid Military ID card, valid state ID Card or other picture ID.
    NOTE: Individuals with Non-Ohio identification must present two forms of ID.

    One photograph is required that has been taken within the last six months. It must be 2"x2" in size and may be either black & white or color. The photograph must be full frontal or whole-face views or the face with a white or off-white background. (Vending machine photos are not acceptable.)

    Do you take Passport Photos?
    The Clerk of Courts also offers a passport photo service. The fee for the service is $10.00. The Clerk of Courts Auto Title Offices are the only offices locally who are authorized to accept both passport applications and take passport photos.

    You may supply your own photo as long as they meet the specific requirements.

    How Can I Pay the Fees?
    All fees may be paid by cash, money order, cashiers check or VISA/MC. Checks should be made payable to Clerk of Courts.

    How Long Does it Take to Get a Passport?
    Due to a change in the Federal law, the wait times for passports exceed the normal four to six week wait period. For a better estimate please contact your local auto title office.

    What if I need a Passport in a Hurry?
    If you are leaving on an emergency trip within five days, you must apply in person, on a will call basis, to the nearest passport agency. The nearest agency to Montgomery County is Chicago, Illinois. In addition to the standard documents required you must also present a copy of your airline ticket, and/or itinerary.

    If you are leaving within two weeks, you may submit an application to the Clerk of Courts office. Special expediting procedures can be applied for this occasion.

    What if I Change my Name?
    A name may be changed with the proper documentation. Call any Montgomery County Auto Title office to discuss particular circumstances where there is a change of name.

    **The above information is intended to answer only the most frequently asked questions which we receive. If you need additional information we will be happy to assist you at any of our Auto Title locations, or you can contact the U.S. Department of State at**